The History of Miziara

Written by Super User on . Posted in The Village

The old Miziara was a dense forest, wrapped with trees infested with wild pigs. It was not inhabit untill the seventeenth century when Nehemtallah Nehmeh came from Bekfayya, the origin of all its the families.

 After the arrival of Nehemtallah to the North, he first lives in "Arbet Kezhayya" and he fathered there. Then his family has moved to "Sereel" then to "Ijbaa" where he did not stay for long time. After this, he moved to a small farm next to "Sebeel" where he got his four childs:

  • Younes: The origin of Younes, and Beshara families.
  • Abdallah: The origin of Wehbeh, Fadi, Tannous, and Sleiman families.
  • Youssef: The origin of Al-Khoury, Raad, and Abi-Rashed families.
  • Abdel-Ahad: The origin of Abdel-Ahad known as Al-Chidiac.

The historian Boutros Bishara Karam says in his book "The coral necklaces in the history of northern Lebanon":

"And in Rishtamout, stayed the family of Nehemtallah Nehmeh about seventy years where it did not spread or branch out. Spend the winter and autumn in the farm and move during summer to "Ijbaa"where it bought the mountain named "Mount of Saint Georges". In it they buikd Saint Georges Church and they asked the rulers of Bsharri and they were Shiites to allow them to stay in the archeological village "Hammis" and in its neighboor which became Miziara."

It was for the childrens of Nehemtallah what they asked, so Younes and his family moved to "Hammis" while Yousef and his brothers Abdallah and Abdel-Ahad preferred the forset that they liked its location and climate. So Youssef the son of Nehemtallah was the first who build in Miziara as the historians confirmed.

In the meantime, in the days of Prince Youssef Shihabi, were "The Lebanese Space", this Prince chose the Karam family in Zgharta, and Issa EL-Khoury from Bsharri which he have them Miziara and its environs. (Prince Yusuf Shahabi ruled from the year 1770 to the year 1789).

 

And from another historian, we know that Nehemtallah Nehmeh has the first son Youssef  became priest known as "Father Elias" and gave bron to a boy called Youssef known as "Youssef Elias El-Khoury".

Youssef Elias El-Khoury was the origin of the Miziara as hisotrian confirmed. He gave birth to seven boys and five girls, the youngest boy was Hanna known as "Hanna Youssef". There was a common telling in Miziara: "Such as the sons of Emm Hanna".

"People of Maziarh" At that time, except Youssef Elias, were partners at Karam's and Al-Issa Khoury families, was on these partners to perform, each year, a hundred ounces silk of the season Maziarh, and a half pound of smoke, as stated in the Encyclopedia of Lebanese cities and villages.

The farmers were not able to pay what they resulted from the sums of money, instead of ruling over them land Maziarh that were in it, they paid all the required amounts, and recorded all the land on behalf of owners, partners previously, instruments-sufficient and signed by all of those who have become really owners.

In that day it began the migration to Brazil where seventy person went seeking to pay the value of the instruments that they signed. Unless Youssef Elias Khoury preffered staying in Miziara with his sons practicing the "run estates and money", he lend money from the rich person in Tripoli and condemning "agwat of Dennie" till the agawat were not able to return their debts by cash but by land and real estate such as "Bshennata" which became a place to stay in summer.

From the oak of Bshennata, Youssef Elias Khoury imposed that each person to plant arround Miziara and appointed Sunday of each season a feast for planting oak arround Miziara.

 Like this, Miziara became the first spluttered to make it one of the most beautiful towns of Lebanon, if not the most beautiful at all.